Familywise error rate

by a2pac, Sunday, November 29, 2020, 12:35 (1216 days ago)

Hallo,

I have been studying JAG3D through my project of a levelling network adjustment and deformation analysis. Furthermore, I have read almost all the topics in this forum and the user manual guidelines and have a question I hope you will answer me.

I do not fully understand the Familywise error rate option within the definition of the test statistic properties.

In what situations would it be preferable to turn on this option, and in what not? What do you recommend while adjusting a classical levelling network?

I would very much appreciate if you took the time to read and answer my question.

Thank you,
Antonio

Familywise error rate

by Micha ⌂, Bad Vilbel, Sunday, November 29, 2020, 12:36 (1216 days ago) @ a2pac

Hello Antonio,

I do not fully understand the Familywise error rate option within the definition of the test statistic properties.

Usually, a global or overall test is used to evaluate the stochastic and functional models. If such a test is rejected, several individual tests are applied in parallel e.g. to scan the data for outliers, cf. Teunissen: Testing Theory. ISBN 9789040719752.

However, if several hypothesis tests are applied in parallel, the likelihood increases to reject a true H0 (type I error) in one of the tests. To overcome this drawback, the e.g. Bonferroni model can be used to adjust the global (familywise) α and the individual α' used in the individual tests, cf. Multiple comparisons problem. Specifying α' yields α and wise versa.

In what situations would it be preferable to turn on this option, and in what not? What do you recommend while adjusting a classical levelling network?

There is no such a situation. The choice is independent of the application itself. The choice depends on your preferences. If you like to take such a statistic property into account, enable the option - if not, disable the option.

regards
Micha

--
applied-geodesy.org - OpenSource Least-Squares Adjustment Software for Geodetic Sciences

Tags:
JAG3D, type I error, familywise error rate, hypothesis testing

RSS Feed of thread